Influenza is a disease caused by a virus and in some cases can even lead to death if not treated well. It is imperative that you should take the flu vaccination every year. Experts say that the primary reason why the flu vaccine is given annually is that influenza viruses mutate very rapidly. Hence, to combat against the various species of virus, every year, a new vaccine is required. If you start having symptoms like a sore throat, headache, fever then it is essential that you take the flu vaccine. If people around you are highly susceptible to get flu, then you should take vaccines immediately.
How does Flu Vaccines work?
Flu vaccines work by producing antibodies in the body within two weeks from vaccination. There are two kinds of flu vaccines. One is known as trivalent flu vaccine which is made to protect against three influenza viruses namely influenza A (H1N1), Influenza A (H3N2) and influenza B virus. Another is known as Quadrivalent vaccine which is made to protect against the trivalent viruses and another B type influenza virus.
How Effective is Flu Shot?
Now, how long the flu vaccine will last depend upon the strength of your immune system. If you are a very young and healthy person, then it lasts for several years. However, if you have a weak immune system or if you are old, then the effect of flu vaccine wears off very easily like within a year. After taking the flu vaccination also, it is highly possible that you might catch the virus. The efficacy of the flu vaccination differs from one person to another. It depends on your age, health status. It also depends on whether the flu vaccination matches with the type of influenza virus which is circulating in your locality. If the flu vaccination and influenza virus do not match then, the effectiveness of the vaccination is reduced. Nonetheless, this does not mean that the injection will not work.
Who Should Not Get Flu Vaccine?
• If you have severe egg allergy, then you should not take the flu vaccine.
• If you have a history of allergy to flu vaccination, then stay away from it.
• If you have a severe fever, then do not receive the vaccine immediately. Wait for the fever to abate.
• If you are suffering from Guillian Barre Syndrome, a paralytic illness then you should not get this vaccine.
Some of the side effects of the flu shot are as follows:
• Swelling, redness and pain in the area where you have got shot.
• You might get some mild fever.
• The part of the body where you got shot might ache for few days.
Some of the side effects of flu nasal spray are:
• You will have running nose, headache.
• You might feel pukish and have muscle pain.
Now the question is, do you need Flu vaccination? Yes, if you are not the person belonging to the category of people who should remain away from the flu vaccine. Every year, you should go to the nearby dispensary and get yourself a flu vaccination to protect yourself from this virus and also to keep your family healthy.