Meningitis is the swelling of the brain and the spinal cord. This disease can result in death, although many people recover from it. Once they recover, they may have some problems, like hearing loss or brain damage.
What Are The Causes Of Meningitis?
Meningitis is an infectious disease. This means that it can transfer between people, and it spreads in places that are filled with a lot of people. For example: a college campus. Here are some other risk factors for the disease:
• Age – All different aged people can get Meningitis. Babies are a high risk for the disease.
• Certain Medical Conditions – Some medical conditions make people more likely to develop Meningitis. Some surgical procedures and medications can also put them at risk.
• Community Setting – Infectious diseases spread where there are lots of people. This is why it is so important to contain the disease as quickly as possible.
• Travel – Traveling to certain parts of Africa or Mecca can put people at an increased risk for Meningitis. This is because the disease is rampant in these locations.
• Working With Pathogens That Cause Meningitis – Working with pathogens that cause the disease puts a person at risk. It is important to where the proper clothing and protection gear when deal with Meningitis pathogens.
The Symptoms Of Meningitis
There are several symptoms to Meningitis. Be aware of what they are so that you can get the help you need as quickly as possible. Here are the symptoms of the disease:
• Confusion Or Altered Mental Function
• Increased Sensitivity To Light
Treatment Of Meningitis
The treatment of Meningitis can be completed with numerous antibiotics. It is important to note that the treatment needs to begin as soon as possible so that it will work, and that there will be no lasting problems. When taking the antibiotics, a person needs to remain calm and patient so that they will begin to work on them. It may take a while for the symptoms to go away.
The Prevention Of Meningitis
In order to prevent the disease, you should follow the vaccination schedule. Make sure that if you have children, that they are vaccinated from the disease so they don’t pick it up. The vaccine is not full proof. It is best to avoid places that have an outbreak to avoid contracting the disease.
Tell Friends And Others To Be Aware Of The Disease
When you hear of an outbreak, you should tell your friends, relatives, coworkers and neighbors to be aware. They should know about the symptoms and causes of Meningitis too so they can protect themselves and their children from the disease.
Having Meningitis is scary to say the least. Make sure that you notice the symptoms, and get help right away. If you notice that someone else has the symptoms, get them to a hospital or call 911. You want to be aware of Meningitis because it is an infectious disease. Stay informed about any outbreaks in your area, and proceed accordingly.